Friday, February 20, 2009

The Culprit

So I stopped wearing my boots, and so far so good. My knees are holding up ok. The training has been going ok.  I think two "ok"s in a row equals a "so-so".  I've been swimming, and I went for a short 2 mi run, but at the end my knee felt funny, so I'm kind of hesitant about running. The crappy part about giving it up (for now) is that I enjoy it! If I didn't have the climb to worry about I might keep pushing the envelope until my knee got to the point where the pain was unbearable. 

But, there is the climb, and so I'm thinking of alternatives. And strengthening my legs. 

Biking will be the likely replacement>it works the legs and involves minimal impact to the knees.  But the dilemma with biking is the cold; it's easier to run in the cold than bike in the cold.  And I REALLY hate indoor biking, it's the most boring form of indoor exercise.  Worse than a treadmill.  Hmm.....

The weekend training hikes begin this Sunday.  I can't wait. Except Dean is deathly ill with the flu as I type this, and I am trying not to get too excited about the hike in case I come down with it as well.  Will I manage to skirt the evil flu bug?

Our friends were up visiting over the weekend, so there was much drinking and little resting. One of our friends got sick the day before he left, so that's probably where Dean got his cooties from.  

I don't know what it is about getting older, but it seems as though every day, there is something new to discover about the body.  And that something new, isn't always desirable: Achy bones. headaches. stress. perpetually tired. get sick easily. droopiness where it never had been before. dry hair. must i go on? i am depressing myself. 

Let's see how i fare over the weekend. 


1 comment: